Friday, May 28, 2010

Old Fashioned Hair Trimmer

Being the burliest of man, I started shaving at age 4. And ever since then I've been using an electric razor. Yes I can shave perfectly fine with a blade and some lather, but it takes awhile and I've got things to do. The electric razor I've been using was the one my Dad used to use when he was younger. I guess a many years ago he decided he didn't like the electric razor and switched to a manual razor. The electric razor is ancient and never cut all that close to the face. It's certainly close enough to get the job done, but if you want baby smooth this is not the tool for you. It sounds like a lawn mower, doesn't use batteries, and is huge.

The only issue I have with it is that every so many months it breaks down. When this happens I used to take it to the local old fashioned drug store where once a month an old man would come into town and fix electric shavers. But now that I've moved away it is a hassle to get it to my Mom so she can take it in for me and then have her get it back to me.

Recently the electric shaver broke on me again. I had tried to fix it in the past to no avail but I wanted to try again. It was dissapointing that I could not fix it being an electrical engineer and this was a device from the 70s or so. It's not like it has circuit chips or anything like that.

So I tried once more. It comes apart easily enough since it's put together with regular screws. After a quick inspection I thought that one of the capacitors may have blown out because it was all black. At this point I went to Radio Shack to get a multi-meter, soldering iron, solder, and a couple capacitors. Yes I realize I have my masters and did not prior to this occasion own a multi-meter or soldering iron, leave me alone. Anyway I went there looked around for a bit and then left to get on the internet to research how to read the values off capacitors. A half hour later I returned and made my purchases. A half hour later I returned again because my multi-meter didn't come with batteries and it used a special weird one.

Finally I was ready. In a jiffy I removed the faulty capacitor, and then had a close look at it. Wetting my fingers I rolled it around a bit, and found that all the black came off. It looked good as new. So I realized the capacitor was not my problem. Which meant I didn't really need to get a soldering iron after all, but it was fun de-soldering it and then re-soldering it back in place on the electric razor.

At this point I decided to have a look at the switch. My original thought was that I had broken the switch but I couldn't figure out anyway to get at it. It is in a case that seemed sealed shut. But this time, after working my finger nails out I was able to pry off what I found to be the top of a case that exposed my switch. And sure enough there was a ton of hair in there. I have no idea how all that hair got in there considering how sealed shut everything was, but I removed the hair put everything all back together and voila the shaver started right up! I actually fixed something electrical.

Here's a picture of the taken apart shaver. Yes I was working on it in an electric skillet. You can see what the capacitor looks like in the photo although I removed the one on the other side. Also that tape was my way of re-sealing the switch because after I open up the case I couldn't get it close properly again.


0 comments: