Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Japanese for Good Morning

For a week and a day now, I've been living under a new roof, and there has been a flurry of activity.  There are just so many things to do, and most of it involves unpacking.  Things are different here, but not all are for the worse.  For example, I seem to be in the ice-cream capital of the world.  All of my favorite brands are back, with more flavors and sizes.

As far as social activites go, I'm still scoping the area out.  Tonight, I may be playing tennis.  It looks like a fun event, however it is expensive.  About 7 dollars more than I'm used to for one hour less time.  Okay maybe 7 dollars isn't that much, but week after week it adds up.  Plus there are more than one tennis event per week that look interesting.  Church this Saturday past had a Priest that gave a borderline perfect homily but a strike out on single folks in general.  But I don't know how much more I'll be going back because the sanctuary (that's the place where the Priest walks around) had no tabernacle.  In fact it was no where in sight.  It was in a separate room in it's own special Chapel.  That got me mad, because I felt like I walking into an empty house, and I had no idea where to genuflect and all those little things that are based on Jesus being actually in the room.  And any Church that decided to put Him in His own little room off to the side is circumspect in my eyes regardless of how nice the homily was.  We don't put Baby in a corner.  But anyway, rant aside, there is a university Church somewhat nearby to try.

There's two more things worth mentioning.  Yesterday in the parking lot I ran into a co-worker who has been at this office for about three years, and used to sit in the same office I just moved from.  We hadn't seen each other yet (this new building is large), and stopped to chat.  She said she is moving back to where I just came from and is going to work from home.  After three years she hasn't made any real good group of friends and has found it really difficult to find social activities where she could meet people.  And she is tired of going out by herself all the time.  Well that didn't instill a great deal of hope in me.  But I guess it's good to know what I've gotten myself into, and makes it all the more necessary for me to stick my hand out and say "hi".

The second thing is that despite that letdown I still have plans to meet people.  In particular, I have a few old friends who live nearby.  No, I couldn't be so fortunate as to have people I like living in the same city as me, that would be too much, but, unlike my old residence, now my nearest friends are only an hour to an hour and a half away, rather than two and a half to three hours.  And I've been contacting them one-by-one.  One person I contacted is one of those friends that became my friend after we cooked a little.  Like we weren't besties in high school and certainly not elementary school, but we seemed to click at the reunions since high school graduation, as though it was a maturity thing.  So anyway, she is married but she is a friend and in a way this works better because by not being single we can just be friends and not worry about all those emotional things that come when two people are single and looking.  But while I do actually like her company, there is a benefit.  She happens to have connections.  It turns out she is way up in a particular chain of stores that can be found at most malls that sell ladies under clothing.  I could name the place, but I don't like how companies find me (look at the keyword in the link).  So maybe she happens to know some single ladies that would be just right for me.

1 comments:

Whitney said...

Oh Greg. Sounds like a mixed bag so far, but that is to be expected. Too bad that lady is leaving! Can you keep in touch? Is she cute? And I say that you should forget your complaint about the extra $7 at tennis and go to every event that is available!

WAM