Sunday, February 20, 2011

California Here I Come

Today's post goes best with the following. So just open it up in a new tab, and listen to it loudly, while reading on.

San Diego in February is a bit like a paradise. There are sunny skies, palm trees, green grass, and a cold day is considered something less than 60. Every where you look is a picture. And this is how I get to spend one whole week, as I teach a class on behalf of work for another company that's got a location out here. Arriving at little after 11:00 here time, I had quite a lot of time to spend exploring around. And I did, I hopped in to the rental, a bright red Sentra, and drove around. It didn't take long before I saw my first Ferrari driving right next to me. It sort of caught me off guard because I was absent mindedly looking around at the fantastic landscapes when all of a sudden I see I'm driving right next to a $250,000 car. It was pretty amusing because I don't think the guy driving it knew exactly what he was doing. He seemed to be all over the place. I couldn't tell if he was really having a hard time with it, or was just trying to figure out the best way to zip in between cars to get to a clearing where he could properly drive the way the car is meant to be handled. At any rate, I was on a mission to find my location, so I had to put that car out of my mind and pay attention. First off I tried to go to Seaport Village, but my GPS didn't take me where I thought I wanted to go, but I was happy with the general location so I kept driving around and eventually came to the Gaslamp District which was another place I wanted to check out. And since I was now already here, I figured I should get out and take a look around.

The Gaslamp District is essentially blocks and blocks of shopping and dining for the incredibly gorgeous. Once I parked, I walked towards what I felt was the beginning, and on that first block I passed a restaurant with people eating outside and I noticed a line. This struck me as odd being only 1 in the afternoon. Then I saw that many of these people were looking at yet another Ferrari parked on the street next to the restaurant. The mothers kept telling their little children not to touch it. But as I walked on by I noticed another group of people. These people were all fabulously good looking. Girls and guys alike. They were sitting outside eatting and socializing, basically looking like a scene in a catalog and here I go walking on by. In my head I apologized to them saying, "Sorry for spoiling your view." But I quickly perked up as I came to an art gallery. I decided to check it out for fun, and it turned out I had struck gold. This gallery was a gallery of Chuck Jones, Dr. Suess, and Charles Shultz. Chuck Jones did all the Loony Tunes cartoons, think Bug Bunny, and Charles Shultz did Charlie Brown. Some of the work was original. Like there was an original Dr. Suess of the Grinch. And for $14,695 it could be yours. There was an original Chuck Jones, at the low price of $20,000. They even had an original cell from Disney's 'Alice in Wonderland'. No price listed. But there were plenty of art that was affordable. I really considered buying a piece of either Bug Bunny playing the Piano or one by Dr. Seuss of a zany orchestra, to hang above my piano, but a.) I don't have wall space available to hang the picture above a piano, and b.) I don't have a piano. But it was fun to look at all those wonderful old memories hanging there on the walls.

After this I continued walking the blocks. I wound up seeing a Bently drive on by, and after a couple hours found myself going back to that art store for one last look.



But I resisted. However, on the way there I passed that restaurant again since it is right across the street. And now there was a huge line outside of it. At 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon this place had a line of about 50 people waiting to get in and it was growing. Now I'm not going to say I found these people particularly attractive. I would say they went to lengths to try and be appealing. To me it seemed gaudy. Like with everyone there in line it was just too much. As I walked back to my car, I saw more people getting into that line. One girl must have been from up North, because even though it was 57, she felt perfectly warm in yellow high heels and a bikini.

Then pulling out to leave I saw a Rolls Royce drive on by. Still I was perfectly content in my Sentra mimicing Mariah's screams to 'Fantasy'. Seemed appropriate after seeing a guy, rippling with muscle, in a cowboy hat and plaid short sleeve button down, driving a pick up blaring Taylor Swift and singing along. There are more stories to tell, but for now let us go to a true classic. California Here I Come.

0 comments: