Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grains of Canada's Banner

In the shower this morning I was thinking about this post. The topic and the points of discussion came quickly, so I moved on to what the title should be. Titles are sometime tricky for me to come up with, but this morning it came right away. 'Soft and Hard Woods'. A few seconds later I realized my title would not do. And hence the title you currently see headlining this article.

Continuing from yesterday I wanted to talk about the differences between soft and hard maple woods. Hard maple, as the name suggests, is much denser than soft maple. The grain is packed very close together and has little variation. As a result if you start walking away from the wood, it will start to appear to be of one solid color very quickly. Everything starts blending together and it looks like a smooth solid colored surface. There will likely be some variation and spirals present but not much.

Soft maple on the other hand has a great deal of variation. In fact, to my eye it looks like a light cherry wood. When you start walking away from it, you can still see all the swirls and patterns in the grain.

And there you have it, the differences in the grain between soft and hard maple woods.

0 comments: