Monday, July 19, 2010

Myrtle Sighting

One of the more interesting creatures I've seen swimming in the pond has been a turtle. I've only got a good glimpse of him once when the sun was hitting the water just right and I could see really deep down. He was coming up for a breath and after he did he swam off out of sight. But it was awesome. In South Carolina (yep I'm getting better with these links) I see turtles all the time on tree branches that are extended out over the lagoons. They perch on them with the birds to sunbathe. But up here I never see turtles, let alone swimming around in the pond.

Yesterday evening I was walking around the pond and in the opposite direction there was a pretty blond walking around too. Since the pond is circular eventually she has to pass me assuming her apartment doesn't come between us first. The first time she passed I said 'Hi' but she didn't respond. I think she may have smiled but it wasn't obvious. Then I decided to try something. The next time she passed me I planned to say "Hey, did you see the turtle? A turtle came up to get some air, but now I've lost it." Technically none of that is a lie. There is a turtle, at one point he did come up for air, and I have certainly lost sight of him in the month that I last saw him take a breath.

She came on around for the second pass and I made my short little speech. That got a reaction out of her. She lifted her sunglasses and said "Really!? I didn't see him, where is he at?" I pointed vaguely in the direction where I last saw him and said I saw him over there but I don't see him now. And then she went back on her walk. She was power walking so I guess she didn't want to stick around. But on the third pass she definitely gave me a greetful smile.

So there you go, I laid a small foundation with someone new. A foundation based entirely on lies and deceit, but a foundation nonetheless. I don't need a dog, I have a turtle.

0 comments: