Wednesday, January 16, 2013

St. Paul's Shipwreck

Having to ever expand my search radius on my current dating sites to impractical distances, I decided perhaps it was time to try another site.  This certainly seemed more reasonable than even considering the possibility that the problem could be with me.  So I signed up for a subscription to a Catholic oriented site.  I already had a profile so I was allowed to creep around, but I couldn't communicate with anyone, and there were several girls I wanted to say hello to.  This now made for site number 4.  But almost immediately I started having some luck.  Sure I still got one response in twenty to my own e-mails, but I was getting a lot of first-time messages from the girls.  Unfortunately, and much like the other sites, it seems it only takes about two messages from me before the girl's alarms start to ring and she bolts.  I'm still puzzled on what exactly I say that is so off-putting because I feel the girls haven't written me enough to determine that quickly how difficult I can be.  I expect them to run, just not so fast.
 
Nevertheless, exactly two weeks ago to the day, I got a message from a girl.  I think I had viewed her first, which she probably saw and gave me a look and then after seeing my manly physique she felt compelled to write.  Actually it was the site's version of a wink.  Anyway, while I liked her photos, I had some misgivings about her profile.  Oh, it was a great profile.  She was clearly someone I had to write.  But it was a very happy profile.  All these hahahas, and exclamation points all over the place.  It was all a bit much.  In fact, to highlight my point here is a passage from her profile:

Don't stop reading because I am in Spain...for that would make you a GIVER-UPPER! hahaha!

All caps, two exclamation points, and a hahaha.  Oh my.  However, she has a tremendous smile, and I can't really fault someone for being happy so I decided to send her a message.

But then there's that whole bit about Spain.  It turns out she is studying abroad there until May or June.  Well alright, I can live with that so no problems I suppose.  And we've been talking a bunch.  A bit surprisingly because as bubbly as she is, I really have no idea why she keeps writing a non-bubbly guy like me.  But she does.

Next week I have to take a holiday.  It's a long involved account of how work does vacation, but basically I'm going to have 4 days off next week.  And I am in the mood to go skiing.  I called up some friends who live somewhat nearby where I wanted to go, but unfortunately they couldn't join.  Then I thought that I hadn't been to the Alps in Italy before so maybe I should go there.  So I asked Mellen, I call her Mellen, if she'd want to take a train from Spain to Italy to go skiing in the Alps with me.  Okay, that would be a little crazy, but I put the question as a joke so while she could say yes, she could just awkwardly laugh it off.  But no, I got neither of that.  Instead I was informed by her that the Alps are crazy hard so it might not be best to go there if my skill level is not much higher than being able to sit up right on a moving sled.  And it isn't.

So now we're going to Malta instead.  I fly out Sunday to meet her in Madrid where we'll be catching a flight that day to Malta and then spending the next four days exploring the Mediterranean island and its neighbor Gozo.

0 comments: