Tuesday, July 26, 2011

What You Say to Strangers

'Vehicle' by Ides of March is an amazing song. That beat is incredible and you just want to sing along. The other day as I was listening to the lyrics I was a little shocked.



"Hey, well, I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan,
Won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy,
I'm a lovable man, and I can take you to the nearest star.
...
That I love you. I need you.
I want you, got to have you child. Great God in Heaven , you know I love you."

Let's start at the beginning. He's a friendly stranger going up to you on the street asking you to jump into his car, and he's got pictures. I can't help but wonder what sort of pictures these are. But they must be very impressive. For example, no one has ever enticed me to do anything by saying, "Hey, how about coming over here and saying 'Hello'". "Ummm, no thanks I'm fine." "I've got some nice pictures to show you." "Oh well in that case, yes, please let me in." And he's got candy too. That should be enough. But apparently not, some people won't be lured by candy, but they just can't resist the temptation of pictures.

Next. He's a lovable man. Oh my. I just can't imagine this sort of pick up line working for me. "Hi, I'm friendly." "Go away." "But I have pictures and candy to share. And I'm lovable." Okay, that's sort of cute. But let's keep going.

"Got to have you child." Oh my. Maybe with people his own age this would be fine, but he's singing to children!

I've always wondered why this doesn't get more air time on the radio. And now I think I know.

0 comments: