Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Smattering of Color

A while back I posted a few very old family pictures that I was given at a family reunion. Interestingly, I had a cousin who I've never spoken to find those pictures through google images. What a small world. I tried to repeat her search but was unable to find the image, so I have no idea what keywords she used but I met a cousin out of it.

Those old photos are really cool. They mean more when they're your own family, but even not it's still neat to look at them and see the different styles of dress, hair cuts, and what people did for fun. I always get a kick out of seeing the men dressed impeccably. You still see girls my age out in summer dresses from time-to-time, but it's very rare to see guys dress up in suits. And if they do we think they're just putting on a show. Although, unforutnately its becoming rare to see even the girls dress up anymore. Still to be fair this was probably taken on a special occassion, like maybe on a Sunday. While men did dress up back then, it wasn't uncommon to see them in just a regular white tee-shirt tucked into their pants. Nevertheless, even that screams manly, whereas nowadays we have guys walking around in hideously ugly capris.

The problem with the photos is they're in black and white. Sure black and white photos can be really artsy, and there's nothing quite like the old black and white films. But God let us see in color, so for fun I've tried adding color to two photos.

This first one was my first attempt. It's a picture of my great Grandparents on my Mom's Dad's side.


I actually met them both. My great Grandpa died when I was still young, but I remember trying to get that cane away from him, and then getting yelled at by my parents for bothering him. I knew better though, he was purposely teasing me with that cane, and this was my Mom's Grandfather so she and probably Dad too had to behave. You know, like how us kids always tell our parents they have to be do what their parents say. It's the one time we get to see our parents be the kids. To my dissatifcation however great Grandpa never told my parents to be quiet. But he didn't stop playing with me either. Great Grandma I mostly remember being in bed. I knew her when she wasn't stuck in her bed, but she lived for a longer time than my great Grandfather and she spent a good portion of that in her bed. The story of how they met is for movies.

They were both came over to the States when they were just young teenagers, like 16. They both came alone without their family, and wound up living very close to each other and that's how they met, and eventually married and here I am today.

The next picture is one I just finished up last night. This one was particularly tedious and so I was happy to actually have started and finished this project. I'm one of those people who starts things but rarely completes them, so this was like an exercise in discipline. This one is of my Dad's Mom's siblings.


I think it was taken in the late 30s or 40s. I think the lady in the blue dress was great Aunt Ann, my partner in water balloon tosses at family reunions. I'm not sure on the others. The men are all dead now. But I think the other two ladies are still with us.

0 comments: