Monday, October 11, 2010

Big Road Trip

What a week. First let's say "Happy Birthday" to Gurney. It's a little late, but still worth noting. Next let's get back to me.

Last week I went on the big road trip with Kelly. We went through, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky. Seeing everything from Mammoth Cave and Abe Lincoln's birth in Kentucky, to the sandy shores of South Carolina. There was essentially no dull moments the entire time, so trying to get through everything here would require more effort than I want. However there were some events that stood out from the rest.

On Friday night, Kelly drove to Indiana to stay at her Aunt and Uncle's. To do this she had to drive right through where I live. So she stopped by, and when she saw how close I lived she just had to see how this random person she was about to go on a road trip with lived. She liked what she saw and we watched a couple of music videos before heading out to Wendy's for our first road trip dinner. As we were getting ready to go she pointed out my 'Machette' poster and asked "Is this your man poster?" I said it was. A little while later she just burst out laughing and said, "I'm really glad you have that poster hanging up because this place is just way too coordinated." Hah, it does work!

After Wendy's she continued on. I was going to meet up with her Saturday evening and stayed with her and her Aunt and Uncle for the night. For me this was a little discomforting because I do not like staying over at strangers homes. I feel a bit like a burden, and I'm a little shy anyway. But fortunately her Aunt and Uncle were extremely hospitable, social, and relaxed which made me feel right at home. So no good stories there, I was nice and behaved. The next day we traveled to Ohio. I needed to head up to Cleveland to celebrate my Grandfathers 80th birthday and Kelly wanted me to drop her off in Columbus so she could visit a friend. The birthday party was great, and impressive. At the end of the party, my other 80 year old grandfather was tearing down tables and hauling them off to the storage closest in the reception hall where the party was thrown like he was 20. I hope I can be like that at his age. I wish I could be like that now! And Kelly too had an interesting little adventure. This friend of hers she hadn't seen in 19 years. In fact she has two children now, the oldest of which at 12 is nearly the age they last saw each other. So these two old friends who hadn't seen each other in two decades had to spend the next 8 hours with each other. That was another recipe for disaster, but things turned out great and they had a good time.

That night we stayed my folks house. Here Kelly was the one who got to feel out of place. She liked how I had perfectly described my parents ahead of time, and thought it was interesting to see exactly what qualities each of them has in me. According to her, a social worker, I do not have any mental disorders. Rather, I am the product of them.

Okay that was the start of the trip. Essentially nothing awful happened, and to give you a heads up, nothing terrible happened the rest of the trip either. But I still have some more I want to talk about. For now enjoy the pictures.





0 comments: