Friday, March 11, 2011

Sun and Water

Raising a child requires a good deal of effort and care. When they first start off, they are helpless and depend on us for everything. And they are rather fragile. So if you make a small mistake like dropping the child once he could die or be permanently messed up. That's sort of a tall order. You carry children for a year or two before they can start ambling around for themselves. So for an entire two years you can't drop the child once. I couldn't prevent dropping my laptop after less than a year. True I likely wouldn't throw a small child up into the air over a concrete slab and hope I'd catch him but still we drop things all the time.

But that's just the first two years. Then they can start walking around and you have to make sure they don't walk into or off of anything. Plus they may simply fall down standing still like a drunk.

In their teenage years, things get worse. Now they are pretty good at walking, but they are driving. And new dangers include getting shot, drug overdoses, or contracting some hellish STD.

Now that's just keeping them safe. You've still got to feed, water, clothe, and shelter them. And that doesn't really ever end either. Sure they can start feeding themselves at some point, but for a few years you're still the one that has to provide them all the materials.

All of this care worries me some, and that's because I have not yet successfully managed to keep a plant alive. They all die. I've managed to kill three cacti. The only plant I still have that's alive is one that you simply have to put in a glass of water and keep sunned. And even that one halfway died before I learned you cannot simply keep it in the bathroom indefinitely as a nice display.

My most recent killing spree involved a once beautiful clematis. I bought it over the summer at a local nursery. After spending a very large deal of time looking them all over, the one I chose had many big blooms just getting ready to burst into brilliant purple flowers. It was well shaped, and looked very healthy.

Clemy was put outside on my balcony for the rest of the summer, and I was able to keep it alive. A few days after I bought it, she bloomed and looked amazing for about two or three weeks. Right before the frost came I brought her in for the winter, and put her in the best spot I could to ensure she still got sun.

And the weeks went on. I would water her once a week, and didn't mind as she turned brown. It was winter now, and I figured she was going to re-grow during spring. Well yesterday I took a look at her, and I could tell things didn't look good. She is completely brown, and when I touched her stems they snapped off being all dried out. But maybe there is hope. Maybe her roots lived and come spring she'll be good as new. Still though, I can't help thinking if I can't do something as simple as water and sun a plant, raising a child may be beyond me.

Before winter came, I took some glamour shots of Clemy. Here is one of her looking particularly well.

0 comments: