Monday, January 30, 2012

Raphael's Beauty

There was a study done recently by the Washington Post. A very talented violinist who gets $110 a ticket for his performances, played in a New York City subway. The violinist proceeded to play the songs he was going to play later that night at a concert. The songs are supposedly some of the greatest and most challenging violin songs known and the violin he was playing with is worth over 3 million dollars. The study was to see if anyone would stop and listen.

After he finished playing it turns out that no one stopped for more than about half a minute. And the only ones who really appeared intrigued were the children who were dragged away by their parents. He made about $30 from people dropping money to him.

The study supposedly gives us insight into how people perceive beauty. No one seemed to realize the fact that one of the world's greatest violin players, with one of the most beautiful violins in the world, was playing the most beautiful violin songs right in front of them. I suppose a lot of conclusions could be drawn here. But I think too much is being read into this study. First off beauty is really hard to objectively define. It is extremely subjective. However, there do seem to be some universally accepted themes of beauty. Such as a beautiful sunny day with green grass. I doubt many if any people are going to argue that they tend to prefer overcast days with brown grass.

In the case of the violinist I think part of the problem is that more likely than not, most of the passerbys in the subway had no way of appreciating the music. Everyone can appreciate a sunny day. But not everyone is going to appreciate what to them is a random violin song. Instead, maybe only someone who has an ear can see the beauty in the violin music. I myself probably would have been one of those people who just walked on by. Although, I have always loved watching performing musicians on the street so I just might have lingered for a bit.

Anyway, so my point is that unless we've been trained or have experience with the subject, we may not be able to appreciate the greatest beauties the subject can offer. Another example is art. I love art and going to museums. And I think most people can appreciate it to some degree because we've all drawn on paper before. In fact I don't know a child who doesn't love to draw. They want to pick up a crayon or a stick and just go at that paper or mud. They are so eager to create. And when we find ourselves in a boring lecture, we may find ourselves continuing to doodle at a rather advanced age.

Recently I finished a drawing, and I like it and want to share it. Now in order to not sound like a braggart I am also including a picture of the original that I tried to recreate. And it gets back to my original point. Many people may look at the original and say that's amazing. Because like I said, all of us have taken pencil to paper, and we can appreciate the masters. But after trying to actually recreate this drawing, all I can say is that Raphael's practice sketch is my best. You can click on them to make them bigger.

I've hung this up next to the entrance door of my apartment. I tried to make the two look a little happier because it's my way of making my guests feel welcome. Both the young and old are excited they are here.

Here's mine:



And here's Raphael's:



Finally here is Raphael's painting. See if you can find the two. They don't appear quite so welcoming.



0 comments: